Our NEW preventive care screening programme involves running annual blood, urine & faecal tests to try and uncover health issues before your pet begins to show symptoms.
Why are we doing this?
- Pets can’t talk, so test results give pets a voice
- It leads to earlier detection of disease and treatment for otherwise undetected conditions
- Allows us to screen for a variety of diseases and conditions that may not be evident in the physical exam.
- We can use these test results in the future to monitor your pet’s health.
- It helps us provide longer, happier lives for pets!
We evaluate the healthiness of blood cells with a complete blood count (CBC), testing for:
We evaluate organ function through a series of comprehensive chemistry tests:
- Liver—liver function, inflammation, infection and cancer
- Kidneys—kidney function, kidney disease, cancer
- Pancreas—screen for diabetes, pancreatitis, cancer
- Muscle and bone—muscle damage, trauma or inflammation and healthy bones
- Electrolytes—hydration of the body, imbalances affecting blood pH as well as nerve and muscle function.
- Urine Specific Gravity (USG)—concentration of the urine
- Microscopy—cell identification
- Urine test strip—can help identify diseases of the kidneys and the urinary tract
Faecal antigen testing helps us find intestinal parasite infections from common parasites hookworm, roundworm and whipworm that other types of testing may miss.
We’ll provide you with a copy of the results for your file, as well as discuss any abnormal results with you, along with a plan for managing these.
The best time to do this would be with your dog’s yearly vaccinations & (or health check if your pet is a cat) but it is available any time.